Monday, November 28, 2011
hugs
Right now I should be blogging about evidence for my essays, but instead I'm going to blog about hugs. Hugs? I know, but as I was searching through my many reflections trying to come up with ideas for my final essays, I came across this quote "I know that you are not supposed to touch or hug your students, but in some circumstances I may really want to. I always appreciate it when my child’s teacher shows them affection in a time of need. How can I help a child in desperate need of affection with words that I’m not sure I can speak and actions I’m not allowed to display..." and I started thinking...I have given more hugs to kids this year that I don't know than I have in any other point in my life. And guess what? I'm about to hand out a bunch more in a few days! I thought it was just the little kids that wanted hugs, but boy was I wrong! I can't tell you how many teenagers hugged me on the way in and out of the door last week. Every time I turned around I felt arms around my waist with an "I'm going to miss you." I must say.... I found it delightful and wonderful!
Labels:
teaching
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I too received hugs as I left my dyad first graders and even more hugs as my main placement second and third graders welcomed me back. I must honestly say I love it. And when one of those first graders butted heads (literally) with another first grader while running in the cafeteria and began to cry, I did not hesitate putting my arm on his shoulder and comforting him. I still wait for the student to initiate hugs and I hug them back around the shoulders. I see other teachers do the same. I think it is OK to be human.
ReplyDeleteI couldn't agree more. In this age of running scared, in which there is no denying real problems, there is something to be said for caring and making appropriate, and sometimes necessary, connections. When our students leave school each day, do we really know where they are going? Do we really know what awaits them? Sometimes they return to school the next day and what they really need is support. Sometimes their actions are calling out for some TLC. I for one, am not afraid to provide that support. I refuse to run scared. I want my students to know that I'm there to support them in a caring and concerned environment.
ReplyDelete