Tuesday, October 4, 2011

TED video on technology

Using technology in a classroom provides students with amazing access to an abundance of information.  They are empowered to discover information and find answers on their own, building confidence and creating emotional connections to the content.

The idea of grouping students to search and discover together provides a social connection that I hadn't thought of before.  I have mainly seen technology used in a classroom with individual students practicing math or reading skills in a formatted program.  I know that my own children enjoy playing games together online, searching educational programs and talking about what's happening on the screen and plotting their next move together.  I think it is a very clever concept to have peers search topics together, finding results and manipulating information as a team.

I wonder how workable it would be in various situations, especially when it come to taking turns and sharing duties as the "captain."  If structured properly, I believe it would be an amazing way for students to spark interest with their peers and carry conversations forward about the discoveries they have made together, all while they are individually making multiple connections to the information.

1 comment:

  1. I am astonished by the accomplishments of the children in the video. Who needs teachers?

    ReplyDelete